Alkaline water has become increasingly popular, and for good reason. It helps to neutralize your body’s pH levels, which aids with healthy cell maintenance. The various systems and organs in the body all have their respective pH levels, and striving to keep these pH levels neutral is key because an acidic body can lead to malignancy or cell death and mutation.
The blood pH value in a healthy body ranges between 7.35-7.45, making it slightly alkaline. Your lungs and kidneys are the organs responsible for maintaining this balance, but your overall health could be affected if they are not functioning optimally. Chronic pH imbalances can damage cells and tissues inside the body, which is why it is important to maintain balanced pH levels. The worst-case scenario is that metastasis, which is when dead cells remain acidic and mutate or malignant cells grow, can occur in an overly acidic body.
One of the most common causes of acidic pH levels is the Standard American Diet. This diet consists of refined sugars, excess caffeine, processed foods, meat, alcohol, meats & meat products, and dairy products, all of which make the body overly acidic. An acidic body can cause poor immune function, chronic headaches, fatigue, and digestive complications. When your body is alkaline, you essentially create a healthier body, both internally and externally because your skin’s pH level matters too.
A lot of grocery stores sell alkaline water, but it is very simple to make your own. Follow the recipe below to start making and drinking your own alkaline water.
- 1 organic lemon, washed and sliced
- 2 liters of purified water
- 1 tablespoon Himalayan salt
- Fill a glass pitcher with the water and add the lemon slices. Make sure that you don’t squeeze the lemon slices, though. Add the Himalayan salt and cover the jar. Leave this overnight at room temperature.
- Drink three 8oz. glasses of this water the next morning on an empty stomach. Doing this will help to create an ideal pH balance in your body, and you should notice how much better your body feels after a few days.