One of the worst things about winter is the cold weather that can easily dry out your skin, making it itchy and flaky. People resort to creams or lotions in hopes of moisturizing the skin, but rarely do these actually do the job. In fact, most creams and lotions cannot penetrate the skin to provide moisture, resulting in a layer of built-up dead skin cells and chemical skin care products. This makes it even harder for the skin to breathe, and can result in clogged pores and acne.
The skin is constantly exposed to irritants and impurities, which rob the skin of moisture. Your response to this should be to provide the skin with moisturizing ingredients, one of which is nature’s butter, more commonly known as the avocado. While people enjoy eating guacamole and adding avocado to sandwiches or Buddha bowls, avocados are also excellent for topical application. The high fat content and inherent antioxidants in avocados contributes to smoother skin that looks younger and sufficiently hydrated.
Avocados Keep You Young:
The vitamins E content of avocados work to reduce fine lines and wrinkles. The vitamin E in avocado helps to enhance the production of collagen, while the chlorophyll protects against premature signs of aging. You can also use avocado oil on the skin to keep it looking supple and moisturized.
Avocados contain vitamins A, D, and E, all of which work to hydrate the skin and protect against harmful UV rays. The vitamin E is most beneficial for its ability to reduce acne scars and hyperpigmentation. As far as avocado oil goes, people praise it for the oleic and linoleic acids, which help to restore the skin and prevent it from drying out.
Avocados Strengthen The Skin Barrier:
Notorious for their omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, avocados help to strengthen the skin barrier when topically applied. The skin absorbs these fatty acids, using them to enhance the skin’s natural lipid layer. Someone with a weak skin barrier is more prone to infection or redness, so use avocados in your beauty routine if you want to have healthier skin.
Ingredients For Avocado Face Mask:
- ¼ of an avocado, mashed with a fork
- 1 slice of lemon
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
Instructions For Avocado Face Mask:
- Add the avocado to a mixing bowl and squeeze the lemon over it. Mix in the olive oil and honey until well combined.
- Before you apply this mask, rinse your face and pat dry. Following this, take a warm wet towel and hold it over your face for two or three minutes. This helps to open your pores.
- Using your fingertips, apply the avocado mask on your face, being careful to avoid your eyes. Allow this to remain on your face for 10-15 minutes.
- Once the time is up, rinse your face with warm water, pat dry, and apply a natural moisturizer. We have a great moisturizer recipe here.
- You can use this mask once or twice a week.