Staying true to an anti-candida diet can almost feel like a chore. It can also get a little boring. This is why it is important to get creative with your food in order to make it interesting. We tell that to people who are participating in our cleanses when they tell us about the raw food diet. You can do a lot of things with fresh fruits and vegetables, and one of the easiest ways to change up flavors is by making smoothies.
You may be thinking, “How do I make a good smoothie when I have to avoid fruit?” Depending on the severity and type of candida you have, you can indulge in the occasional small serving of fruit. It is important to make sure that you choose fruits that are low in sugar. It will bum you out to know that you can’t use bananas. Sorry about that.
It’s important that you try to steer clear of the foods that played a role in the development of your candida. While it may be difficult, it makes sense to avoid the foods that don’t promote natural healing. Rather than worsening the condition, help your body by giving it foods that benefit it!
You will find that there are many options available to make your smoothies taste great. Chia seeds, unsweetened homemade almond milk, flaxseeds, stevia, cinnamon, or ginger are just a few of the many options at your disposal. You can make variations of this candida-friendly smoothie and let us know which one you like best.
Ingredients You Can Use:
- 12-16oz homemade, unsweetened almond milk
- 1-2 cups greens of your choice (kale, spinach, collard greens, romaine, Swiss chard, or 1-2 tsp. spirulina)
- 1-2 Tbsp. fat of your choice (coconut oil, flaxseed oil, almond butter, or ½ avocado)
- ¼ cup low sugar fruit (strawberries, blueberries, lime, fresh coconut, green apple, and kiwi)
- 1 Tbsp. thickener (flaxseed meal, chia seeds, or ½ cup ice)
- A little bit of flavoring (stevia, cinnamon, fresh mint, ginger, nutmeg, or agave)
A Sample, Candida-Friendly Smoothie:
- 16 ounces homemade almond milk
- 1 cup spinach
- ½ avocado
- ¼ cup strawberries
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- stevia to taste
- Place everything in a blender and blend until you get a smooth consistency. If you want to add ½ cup ice to make it chilled, go for it!