Lately, people are incorporating new and exciting wellness trends into their daily routines. From cold plunges and red light therapy to tea baths and mobility exercises, many wellness trends help keep the body as healthy as possible. There has never been a more exciting time to be alive with so many therapies, diet information, and healing modalities at your fingertips.
One such wellness trend is wellness shots, which are intensely flavored drinks that typically contain a lot of vitamin C. Each wellness shot tends to be a variation of lemon, ginger, and turmeric. You can usually see them in certain grocery stores or health food stores, with little two-ounce bottles at a price point of four dollars or more. If you want to save some money and get more bang for your buck, you can easily make these shots at home.
Wellness Shots vs. Lemon Water
A lot of people like to enjoy a glass of water with freshly-squeezed lemon to start their day. In case you don’t do that, doing so can have a positive impact on your health. Some of the health benefits include:
- Improves immune function
- Detoxifies the liver
- Helps energize the body
- May improve appearance of skin
- Helps hydrate the body
- Helps relieve morning sickness
In case you do not drink lemon water and want to try out this trend, start with two cups of water and stir in the juice of half a lemon. After you experiment with this simple creation, you can board the train to the land of wellness shots. They help you start your day with a little kick, energizing your cells and boosting immunity.
Morning Wellness Shot Benefits
Although these are not a cure-all tonic, they do exhibit some unique health properties. A wellness shot is essentially a blend of concentrated nutrients. When you pair these wellness shots with a whole food diet and regularly exercise, they may help you combat fatigue and boost energy. It is very common for people to enjoy them during back-to-school times to take action against viruses. Many people get sick during the winter, making that time of year another popular time for wellness shots. Additionally, drinking these wellness shots may help your digestive system if you’re experiencing bloating or gas.
How To Make Your Own Wellness Shots
It is very easy to make these wellness shots, especially if you use a basic recipe. Some recipes don’t even require a juicer! Even if the recipe calls for a juicer, it will only take you five minutes to make. If you like your juice less frothy, strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve and discard the pulp. Sometimes, you can get creative and add a few ingredients of your choice, but these recipes are far from complex. Simple ingredients and recipe steps for some healthy concoctions.
These two ingredients may also enhance energy levels and boost metabolism. Ginger is rich in anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, and helps to improve brain, heart, and immune function.
- 1/4 c raw ginger root, washed & chopped
- 1/2 c freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 pinch ground turmeric
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp. raw agave nectar
- First off, make sure that you don’t peel the ginger root. Add it to a high-speed blender and blend on high until you see fine pieces.
- Pour the lemon juice, cayenne, turmeric, and agave into the blender and continue blending until you get a cloudy mixture.
- Stop blending and then pour the mixture through a fine mesh sieve, pushing the pulp against the screen to get the most juice possible.
- You can save the pulp if you want and add it to a smoothie within 24 hours, as long as you refrigerate the pulp.
- Store the juice in little shots in the fridge for up to a week, or you can pour the juice in an ice cube tray, freeze, and use whenever you want.
Lemon, Ginger, And Fruit Shot
If you want to make your wellness shot more palatable, then you should start with this before diving straight into turmeric and lemon juice. Plus, adding fruits like pineapple, cherries, berries, or oranges, can increase the antioxidant profile. The recipe is as follows:
- 1 lemon, peeled and quartered
- 1-inch piece of ginger
- 1/4 of an orange, peeled
- Process all of the ingredients through a juicer and enjoy within 15 minutes.
Pineapple Ginger Wellness Shot
A great way to keep the immune system in tip top shape is by consuming foods that contain vitamin C and anti-inflammatory properties. All of the ingredients in these pineapple ginger wellness shots help to enhance immune function.
- 1 cup pineapple, cubed
- 1 cup filtered water
- 2 tbsp ginger root, peeled and diced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tsp turmeric root
- Dash of black pepper
- Add all of the ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend for about 30 seconds to one minute.
- Pour the blended mixture through a strainer and into a wide-mouthed container. Make sure to press the pulp to extract as much juice as you can.
- Store in the fridge and enjoy within 3 days. Ideally, drink a two- or four-ounce shot at once.
- You can sweeten with a little raw agave nectar if the flavor is too intense for you.