Is there a better feeling than sitting on the beach and feeling the warm sand between your toes? The ocean spray in the wind leaves speckles of salt on your skin. There’s something about this that revitalizes the skin. Could it be a subconscious feeling, or does a mild salty exfoliation actually enhance the appearance of your skin?
It’s a fact that there’s magic in the water, because sea salt has powerful exfoliation properties. You need more than sea salt to contribute to beautiful, soft, and radiant skin, though. That’s where the other ingredients in this ocean salt scrub recipe come in. Avocado butter, coconut oil, sea salt, and seaweed powder exhibit skin-enhancing benefits, and you can learn more about them below.
The healing properties of seaweed are far-reaching, as it is a rich source of amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and anti-inflammatory anti-aging properties. This makes it especially beneficial for nourishing the skin and hair. Seaweed works to give the skin a deep cleanse, drawing out toxins, ridding the skin of blackheads, and stimulating the renewal of damaged cells. This contributes to clearer complexion, smoother tone, and overall better appearance of the skin. Seaweed also works to hydrate the skin as soon as you apply it, helping tighten skin cells and enhance the skin’s natural glow.
Certain foods, vitamins, and minerals may contribute to healthy skin, but avocado butter may be the key to unlocking beautiful, radiant skin. Avocado butter contains natural extract of avocado, which is rich in vitamins A, D, & E, and unsaturated fatty acids, all of which are essential for skin care. Many natural beauty enthusiasts use avocado butter to soothe skin irritation because it’s rich in anti-inflammatory agents. It may also reduce redness from acne without leaving a greasy residue on the skin. Lastly, avocado butter may improve the skin’s elasticity, which may contribute to younger-looking skin.
Sea salt has natural exfoliation properties and it works to slough away dead skin cells. The process of exfoliation encourages the production of new, healthy skin cells, which helps to improve the appearance of the skin. The minerals in sea salt enhance the exfoliation process by opening pores for a deep clean. Opening the pores encourages blood flow and allows the skin to better absorb serums and moisturizers. While going to the beach can aid this process, you can invite that ocean feeling into your home by using a sea salt scrub.
Ocean Salt Scrub
- 1/2 cup avocado butter
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 6 drops lemon essential oil
- 6 drops lavender essential oil
- 3 drops spearmint essential oil
- 1 cup fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon seaweed powder
- Add the avocado butter and coconut oil to a heat-safe glass measuring cup or bowl.
- Using a double boiler method, melt the butter and oil. In order to do this, add one inch of water to a heavy-bottomed pot. Bring the water to a simmer over medium heat and then add the heat-safe glass measuring cup with the butter and oil to the pot.
- Stir occasionally until both ingredients are melted. Once completely melted, remove from heat.
- Allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes before adding in the essential oils. Stir well and then add the fine sea salt, coarse sea salt, and seaweed powder.
- Stir quickly because the mixture will start to thicken after you add the dry ingredients. Once fully mixed, scoop the scrub into a jar and store in a cool, dry place.
- When ready to use, scoop a small amount into your hands and gently massage into the skin in circular motions. Rinse well and pat dry.