It’s almost unfair how many adults struggle with acne! Teenagers aren’t the only ones plagued by blemishes that can ruin the entire day. Washing your face with cleansers and applying hydrating moisturizers is beneficial, but attaining clear skin is all about the right serum.
What Is A Serum?
The secret to any skin care routine worth its salt is a nourishing serum. Serums work to absorb excess oils on the face, which in turn reduces pimples and whiteheads. You can’t just buy any serum and assume that it will clear up your skin. Often times, people apply serums and experience breakouts. This is most commonly attributed to serums that are too oily, causing bacterial build-up in pores. Listen…we want everyone to have skin that is as clear as a freshly cleaned window (not see through, obviously). So we decided to save you a few steps by finding an excellent, all-natural DIY serum to clear up your skin.
Turmeric For Clearer Skin
Turmeric can really do no wrong, working to reduce inflammation in people with arthritis and fight cancer cell formation. According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), turmeric can help get rid of acne and improve other skin conditions. The anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and antioxidant properties of turmeric are effective at fighting skin inflammation, including bacterial build-up. Research found that turmeric actually helps boost the skin’s natural defenses, helping to reduce the chance of future breakouts.
Aloe Vera For Clearer Skin
People commonly use aloe vera to soothe sunburns or accelerate the recovery from burn wounds, but the potent antibacterial properties make it excellent for getting rid of acne. Some holistic medicinal practitioners believe that consuming fresh aloe vera juice hydrates the skin and clears it up from the inside; limited research substantiates these claims. When you apply aloe vera on the skin, it works to increase blood flow to the skin’s surface. Aloe vera also helps to eliminate harmful bacteria, redness, and any irritation from acne. While it is beneficial to apply on its own, it works better when combined with other skin-nourishing ingredients, like the ones in the serum below.
DIY Turmeric Serum
Ingredients For Turmeric Oil:
- 2 cups extra virgin coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons turmeric root, grated
Instructions For Turmeric Oil:
- Pour the coconut oil into a medium saucepan over low heat. Once it is melted, add the freshly grated turmeric root and mix well.
- Continue mixing for a few minutes and then remove from the heat and allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes.
- Pour the infused oil through a fine mesh sieve into a clean bottle. Store in a cool, dry place. You can use this on its own as an essential oil, but it goes well with the recipe below.
Ingredients For Serum:
- 3-4 tablespoons organic aloe vera gel
- 5 drops turmeric oil
Instructions For Serum:
- Add the aloe vera gel and turmeric oil to a small mixing bowl and mix well.
- Once the two ingredients are thoroughly combined, add the mixture to a dropper bottle. Store in a cool, dry place.
- When ready to use, use 2-3 drops on your face before bedtime. Since turmeric oil has a subtle orange tinge, consider sleeping with a towel on your pillow, or simply use a pillowcase that you don’t care about.