One of the most common occurrences during the holiday season (besides eating unhealthy foods) is chapped lips. We know this isn’t exciting, but it is a common problem, for which we have a solution. That’s why we’re bringing you a homemade lip balm that helps to moisturize your lips and make them smell like the holidays.
Each person has a different relationship with the holidays. Some people enjoy the coming together of family, while others live for the holiday shopping deals. And then there are people who love the scents that signify the arrival of the holiday season. From cinnamon and cloves to spruce and ginger, the holidays are replete with enchanting aromas. We love these aromas, but we also love the joy and merriment during this time of year.
What Is Christmas Spirit Essential Oil?
This essential oil blend takes all of the wonderful scents of the holiday season and combines them in one bottle. It’s a combination of smells that remind you of simpler holiday gatherings. Remember when the holidays weren’t stressful? The essential oils in this blend are orange, cinnamon, and black spruce. Separately, these oils are common in beauty products and aromatherapy blends. They help to lock in moisture on the skin, which is beneficial for chapped lips, and they promote relaxation. Orange essential oil works to improve the overall appearance of your skin and cinnamon essential oil helps to improve circulation. The scent of black spruce can actually inspire you to be more creative. The most important thing to remember is that you have to dilute this blend in a carrier oil whenever you apply it to the skin because they can be intense.
How Does This Lip Balm Moisturize?
We already mentioned the Christmas blend essential oil, but we can’t ignore the heavy hitters of moisturizing balm: coconut oil, beeswax, and sweet almond oil. Both coconut oil and sweet almond oil are excellent carrier oils, in which you can dilute essential oils. They both help to hydrate your lips without irritating the dry, delicate skin on and around your lips. Beeswax is an emollient, which actually traps water in the skin to keep it moisturized and nourished.
Homemade Holiday Lip Balm
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon beeswax pellets
- 1 tablespoon sweet almond oil
- 8-10 drops Christmas Spirit essential oil
- Add the coconut oil, beeswax pellets, and sweet almond oil to the top of a double boiler.
- Pour a couple inches of water into the bottom portion and place the double boiler over medium heat. Stir the oils and beeswax until they are thoroughly melted.
- Pour the melted oil mixture into a heat-safe glass measuring cup with a pour spout. Stir in the essential oil and then carefully pour the mixture into a couple two-ounce tin containers.
- Let the mixture solidify at room temperature in the tins before screwing on the tops. Store in a cool, dry place and use whenever your lips feel dry.