Herbs can have a direct impact on the way you feel. Whether you are using herbs to boost your immune system, improve sleep, or combat a cold, herbs work to naturally improve your overall health. Some herbs have even been dubbed “superherbs.” Much like superfoods, superherbs aren’t typically found in your average grocery store. They aren’t usually fresh; rather, you have to get them dried or in powder form. Browse your local health food store to locate some of these!
Superherbs: 5 Essential Medicinal Herbs
Echinacea: Echinacea is an extremely powerful immune-boosting herb. It contains antimicrobial properties and phenol compounds. It is a flower that:
- Has been used to get rid of malaria, scarlet fever, and common colds and flus.
- Sip on some Echinacea tea to soothe your sore throat or cough.
Turmeric: Turmeric? 2meric? However you say it, this anti-inflammatory herb is commonly used in Indian food. It’s what makes the food orange…and delicious! One a more serious note, turmeric helps to:
- Well, it’s pretty damn good for everything.
- Decreases swelling, improves circulation, and helps digestion.
- The curcumin, the active ingredient, works to boost your brain health.
Valerian: Who has taken a sleeping pill to fall asleep? Now you can leave those behind because you know about Valerian. You know how Popeye ate spinach to supercharge? Think of this as the opposite. It powers you down for improved sleep. It’s awesome for people with insomnia or other sleep disorders.
Gingko Biloba: Did you know Gingko Biloba is considered a living fossil? It’s like eating a dinosaur! Okay, maybe not a dinosaur, but it does:
- Help to improve memory, circulation, and boosts energy.
- It’s like a natural pick-me-up without the caffeine crash.
- Can we let you in on a secret? It can get you going in the bedroom too.
Milk Thistle: Doesn’t this sound like something from ancient times? Well, it actually is! Since the days of pharaohs when cattle roamed… Just kidding. But really, though, it has been used for 2,000 years to treat kidney, gall bladder, and liver problems.
- It cleanses the liver of toxins, and can help you wean off antibiotics or medication.
- It also can stop cancer cells from dividing and multiplying. Pretty cool, right?