The kava root is an amazing plant that contains a wide variety of health benefits. It has been used in the Pacific Islands for many years to help improve sleep, protect the kidneys, reduce headache pain, and to help reduce anxiety. It is most commonly made into a tea and has a calming effect on the body when ingested.
What Is Kava Root?
Commonly referred to as kava kava, the kava root is native to the Pacific Islands (Hawaii, American Samoa, and Fiji), where it has been consumed as a ceremonial drink, a tincture, or anti-anxiety aid. It contains minerals, water, starch, dietary fiber, and kavalactones, the latter of which are accessed during the preparation of a kava drink.
Kava root is dried, chopped, ground, or chewed and then placed in water to receive the optimum benefits. It doesn’t taste bad, but it isn’t the most appetizing taste either. Since it isn’t native to the continental United States, you can typically find it in its dried or powdered form in health food stores. We recommend making your own concoction, as opposed to just brewing it into a tea.
A Word Of Caution:
Kava may have possible side effects, which is why everyone shouldn’t use it. Using it for extended periods of time has been known to cause liver damage. Kava should not be combined with alcohol or psychotropic medications. Do not operate heavy machinery after consuming kava because it affects your reaction speed. Some people may be allergic to it as well.
Believe it or not, many people have used kava to help quit smoking cigarettes. By alleviating anxiety and curbing cravings, your desire to smoke begins to dwindle. If you are trying to quit and begin to get nervous or anxious about having a cigarette, turn to kava to help remedy the situation and avoid smoking.
Helping With Weight Loss:
This isn’t actually one of the primary health benefits of the kava root, but it does have to do with the fact that it relieves stress. Excessive snacking or unhealthy eating is a common sign of too many stress hormones in the body. This is where kava can help you lose weight, by helping you to stay calm and sensibly think about when and what you eat.
Ingredients For A Kava Drink:
- 1 tablespoon kava root powder
- 8 ounces organic unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon virgin coconut oil
- organic raw honey, to taste
- Warm the almond milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Do not let it boil. Remove from the heat once it starts to steam.
- Add the kava root powder to the saucepan, stir it up, and then pour this mixture into a blender. Blend on high for about two minutes.
- Place a cheesecloth over a mug and pour your kava/almond milk mixture through it. Add the coconut oil and raw honey and mix well.
- It is best to enjoy this drink in the evening, or a couple hours before bed.