If you recently looked in the mirror and thought, “Wow…my skin needs help,” then you clicked on the right article. The face mask in this article is about one thing and one thing only: making your skin glow. It does just that with only two ingredients! Both coconut oil and honey have become staples in the DIY skin care world, and they definitely live up to the hype.
Some people have friends who lather their entire bodies in coconut oil, while others know people who drench their hair and face in honey. Neither approach is wrong; rather, you may not be have the desire to coat yourself in either of these ingredients, but using them together and sparingly can be quite beneficial. In fact, we encourage people who want to brighten their skin to use the mask in this article.
Why Is Coconut Oil Good For Your Skin?
Aside form the fact that it fights acne and keeps your skin looking supple and hydrated, coconut oil is free of the chemicals and additives that are in most skin care products. Coconut oil is rich in a variety of nutrients, so it’s essentially a superfood for your skin. Some of these nutrients include vitamin E, essential amino acids, medium-chain fatty acids, and lauric and caprylic acids, all of which help to nourish skin cells.
The fatty acids in coconut oil are especially beneficial because they help your skin retain moisture. They do this by creating a protective barrier on the skin’s surface, locking in that moisture for smooth looking skin. It also locks in the inherent antioxidants, which protect your skin from free radical damage, a common cause of premature wrinkles and fine lines. Finally, coconut oil has the ability to lighten skin, which contributes to a natural glow.
Why Is Honey Good For Your Skin?
Raw honey is one of the most nutritionally dense products you can put on your skin. It’s a natural exfoliant, containing tiny granules that scrub your face much gentler sugar scrubs or other commercial exfoliators. At the same time, the sugars in honey act as emollients and humectants, which help your skin retain moisture. This means that when you put honey on your skin, you exfoliate and moisturize simultaneously. How amazing is that?
The amino acids, minerals, and vitamins in honey also help to protect damaged skin or blemishes. Many people put raw honey on acne to to help accelerate the healing time and reduce scarring. The antibacterial properties help to rid the skin of acne-causing bacteria, while the anti-inflammatory properties reduce redness and swelling of pimples.
A Quick Note: If you have oily skin, you should not use this face mask. People with dry or combination skin (dry in some areas and oily in others) benefit from using this mask.
DIY 2-Ingredient Face Mask
- 2 tablespoons raw organic honey
- 2 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil (melted)
- Add the honey and melted coconut oil to a medium-sized bowl and mix well.
- Once the mixture is thoroughly combined, smear it all over your face and let it sit on the skin for 15-20 minutes. It’s normal for your face to look shiny, oily, and wet. It won’t dry on your face so don’t worry about that.
- When it’s time to remove it from your face, use a soft washcloth and warm water to rinse off the mask and wipe it away. Once you remove the mask completely, pat your face dry.
- There’s no need for any more moisturizer or cream after this mask because both the coconut oil and honey help to moisturize your skin.