There are many reasons to make your own face mask for optimal skin health. The most important one is that it will be free of chemical additives and harmful ingredients that irritate the skin. The last thing you want is to put more chemicals on the skin, especially after using chemical-rich skin care, hair care, and makeup products.
As many of you know, diet can influence your overall health. Unhealthy foods impair digestion, immune function, sleep, and circulation. While foods influence the health of your skin, so do skin care products. The skin can easily become congested and unhealthy when you use products that contain harmful ingredients. The good news is that you can easily decongest your skin and cleanse it of impurities with a simple DIY detox face mask.
What Does A Detox Face Mask Do?
The better question is, “What doesn’t this detox face mask do?” This face mask contains essential oils and a carrier oil, which benefit the skin in numerous ways, but the key ingredients are activated charcoal and Kaolin clay. These two ingredients help to shrink large pores, clear up blackheads, get rid of blemishes, and revive overall skin tone. Their benefits on skin health are described in more detail below.
Activated Charcoal For Skin:
It’s not the most glamorous product to put on the skin, but it surely has some amazing benefits. The skin is constantly exposed to environmental and airborne toxins that clog pores. Activated charcoal helps to improve complexion by cleansing your pores. It does this by binding to dirt and pulling it out of the pores, making them less visible. Activated charcoal also has exfoliating properties that absorb oils and toxins on the skin, helping to reduce acne and excess oils on the skin.
Kaolin Clay For Skin:
Kaolin clay is referred to as white clay or China clay, and it is almost entirely comprised of the kaolinite mineral. This clay is a gentle cleanser, making it suitable for all skin types. It works to absorb excess oils and extract impurities without causing redness or inflammation. People who experience regular outbreaks or acne benefit from using this clay. The long-term use of Kaolin clay results in toned and tightened skin with reduced wrinkles and fine lines.
DIY Detox Face Mask
- 1 teaspoon Kaolin clay
- ½ teaspoon activated charcoal
- ½ teaspoon filtered water
- 2 drops lavender essential oil
- 1 drop tea tree oil
- 1/8 teaspoon jojoba oil
- In a small bowl, combine the Kaolin clay and activated charcoal. Whisk these ingredients together and then pour in the filtered water. Combine into a paste.
- Mix in the lavender and tea tree essential oils, along with the jojoba oil. Keep mixing and the mask will begin to form.
How To Use:
- Apply a thin layer of this mask on your face using clean hands or a mask spatula. Be mindful to avoid the eye area.
- Leave the mask on your face for five to ten minutes, or until the mask begins to dry. If you have oily skin, you can extend this time because the mask will take longer to absorb the excess oils.
- Rinse the mask off your face with cool water and a clean wash cloth.