Yeah, yeah, we know what you’re thinking: everything causes cancer these days. Unfortunately, some offenders are worse than others. Natural On gives us Cancer-Causing Foods to Avoid and their replacements. We’ve made some modifications below, but implement the steps in either of these lists to lower your risk of contracting all sorts of cancer.
- Replace Diet Foods with Whole Foods. Diet foods, including frozen foods, or prepackaged foods labeled as “diet” or “low fat”, including diet sodas, generally contain an artificial sweetener called aspartame. Aspartame causes many diseases and illnesses, including cancer. To lose weight and stay in shape, eat fresh, organic, raw fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds.
- Replace Microwave Popped Corn with the Real Thing. Microwaved popcorn contains a chemical called perfluorooctanoic acid ( PFOA), which is a known carcinogen. When you heat it up, you evaporate the chemical, leaving a pleasant dusting over every fluffy white bite.
- Replace Canned Tomatoes with Fresh Ones. Tomatoes are exceptionally dangerous due to their high acidity, which seems to cause BPA to leach from the lining of the can into the tomatoes themselves. The level of BPA can be so high in fact; you should seriously consider not feeding them to children. Due to FDA laws, there are no standards for labeling BPA so simply because a can does not say it has it does not mean that it does not contain BPA. Be safe and avoid cans.
- Replace Processed Meat with Wild Fish. The Dherbs Philosophy comes out strongly against meat of all kinds. Vegetables are just too important and when you load up on meat, you get full and you skip the veggies — which, again are just too important. That being said, we also don’t want you to get cancer. So if you absolutely must eat meat to have a decent life and not hate yourself, switch to fish, particularly wild fish. See, even farmed fish is bad for you. For example, farmed salmon is given a chemical for it to take on that famous red color because their domestic diet of chicken litter doesn’t create that deep red color naturally. Farm grown fish contains all sorts of additives and disgustingness. Avoid it. Really.
- Replace Store Bought Potato Chips with Homemade Ones. Potato chips have artificial flavors, numerous preservatives, and colors as well, which is something else your body doesn’t need. Potato chips are fried in high temperatures to make them crispy but this also causes them to make a material called acrylamide, a known carcinogen that is also found in cigarettes.
- Replace Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils with Olive Oil. Hydrogenated oils are used to preserve processed foods and keep them looking appealing for a long as possible. Hydrogenated oils influence our cell membranes’ structure and flexibility, however, which is linked to cancer. Avoid these unhealthy concoctions and stick to Olive Oil or — even better — coconut oil.
- Replace Artificial Sweeteners with Stevia. In order to proliferate, cancer cells seem to prefer feeding on fructose-rich sweeteners like high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS); the reason is that HFCS is being metabolized by cancer cells most quickly and easily. Now it is clear why high-fructose corn syrup is considered the worst offender. And since cakes, pies, cookies, sodas, juices, sauces, cereals, and many other extremely popular, mostly processed, food items are loaded with refined sugars and HFCS in particular, this helps explain why cancer rates are on the rise these days. If you are looking for a low calorie option, try Stevia. This is from the leaves of a plant grown in South America. The white (processed) stuff is generally sold everywhere, but we recommend you stick to the raw version for even more nutritional goodness.