Attention fellow fermenters: it’s time to rejoice! This is a very easy sauerkraut recipe that is filled with powerful flavors and textures. You can’t fathom how delicious it is until you try it. This sauerkraut calls for the the lacto-fermentation method, which packs the kraut with tons of beneficial probiotics. In case you are unaware, probiotics clean out the bad bacteria that inhabit the gut.
- Prep Time:25m
- Total Time:25m
- 1 medium head purple cabbage, shredded
- 2 green apples chopped into thin slices
- 1 orange, sliced into rounds
- 2 inches of ginger root, grated
- 1 tbsp. sea salt
- pure water
- Peel off the exterior leaves of the cabbage before you shred it. Save them because you\'ll need them for later.
- Add the shredded cabbage, apples, ginger, and sea salt in a large mixing bowl and use your hands to mix everything up for five minutes. This helps the cabbage break down.
- Pack the cabbage mixture into one large jar or several Mason jars. Place the orange slices around the sides of the jar(s) and then fill the jar(s) with water until it just covers the cabbage. Get those cabbage leaves that you saved, roll them up, and place them on top of the mixture.
- Close the lid(s) and place in a cool, dry place for 5-7 days. Open every 1-2 days to let out gas that is caused by fermentation.
- Once the fermentation is complete, store in the fridge and enjoy alongside your meals.