If you haven’t discovered the pattern yet, let us say it outright: Dherbs loves Asian cuisine. Compared to American food, which we find fatty and heavy, oriental food tastes far fresher and much more complex. I mean, even when Americans go to work on salads, we end up in Cobb salad territory, which is essentially a bacon salad drowned in blue cheese dressing. Not healthy.
This Asian Pear Mouth Fiesta from Jessica Gavin. Is far different. The original recipe calls for ½ cup of cooked, shelled edamame, but we’ve replaced it here with mung beans as edamame is on our list of banned ingredients.
- 1 large orange, cut into segments (8-10)
- 1 ¼ cup minced red bell pepper
- 1 c shredded carrot
- 2 c Asian pear cut into thin slices
- 1/2 c mung beans
- 1 c thinly shredded red cabbage
- 1 c cucumber, cut in half, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. minced shallots
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- ¼ orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp. finely grated ginger
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. finely chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup raw grapeseed oil, or other neutral oil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Sea salt, to taste
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients in a medium sized bowl, except for the oil.
- Gradually whisk in the oil, until a slightly thickened dressing is achieved.
- Add the desired amount of dressing to the salad and gently combine.
- Add more salt and pepper as needed.
- Enjoy immediately once dressing is added.