There’s nothing quite like the combination of apples and beets. It’s common to see these two ingredients in freshly made juices because the sweet apples counteract the earthy flavor from the beets. You can expect that same complementary flavor combination when you dive into this salad. Dressed in a simple apple cider vinaigrette, this salad is subtly tangy, sweet, and perfect for anyone at your table.
You can easily eat beets raw, but it’s best to cut them into small bite-size pieces, or thinner strips. You’ll work less hard to chew those pieces in their raw form. The crunchy texture of raw beets is quite similar to that of an apple, only the apple is a little softer. The apple you choose can change the overall flavor of this salad. If you prefer a sweeter flavor profile, it’s best to choose juicy Fuji apples or delectable Honeycrisp apples. If you lean towards tarter flavors, it may be better for you to choose Granny Smith apples. We’ll leave that decision up to you, but we used Gala apples because they have notes of tart and sweet.
This salad is truly perfect for winter and can be ready in under 15 minutes. Because apples and beets retain their texture, you can also prep this salad the night before and enjoy it for lunch the next day. Unlike other salads that will wilt if you dress them, this salad holds up in the fridge with dressing. In fact, the flavors intensify!
- Prep Time:10m
- Total Time:10m
- 2 c beets, peeled and diced
- 2 Gala apples, cored and diced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. mustard powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. grade A maple syrup
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
- fresh chopped parsley (optional garnish)
- Add the chopped beets and apples to a large bowl. Remember, you are free to cut them how you like, but it\'s best to keep the beets relatively small.
- In a Mason jar, add the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, mustard powder, maple syrup, and sea salt and pepper.
- Close the lid on the jar and shake well to combine. Shake for about two minutes.
- Pour the dressing over the apples and beets and toss to coat all of the pieces.
- Top with freshly chopped parsley and enjoy.