One of the best parts of winter (yes, you can view this cold season in a positive light) is the abundance of citrus fruits. You can choose from lemon varieties, limes, mandarins, tangerines, and oranges. Of these zesty citrus varieties, one of the standout, and perhaps most striking, fruit is the beautiful blood orange.
Exhibiting a rich red and orange flesh that resembles a tie dye wheel, blood oranges are a type of citrus fruit with a tart, sweet flavor. They are an excellent source of vitamin C, fiber, and antioxidants, and can add a unique and vibrant flavor to smoothies. This smoothie recipe combines blood oranges with other nutritious ingredients, including spinach, pineapple, banana, and freshly squeezed lime juice for a zesty zing. The combination of the blood orange and lime juices create a uniquely refreshing beverage. The addition of chia seeds (which is completely optional) provides an extra boost of fiber and omega-3 fatty acids, which can support digestive and heart health.
The great thing about this smoothie is that it helps you embrace an amazing seasonal ingredient. Enjoy it as a nutritious breakfast, an afternoon snack, or post-workout refuel. You can also customize the recipe by adding other ingredients such as raw vegan nut butter or frozen berries. Just know that this may alter the taste of the recipe below. We hop you love it!
- Prep Time:5m
- Total Time:5m
- 1 banana, peeled, sliced, and frozen overnight
- 3/4 c pineapple, cubed and frozen overnight
- 2 blood oranges, juiced
- 3/4 c homemade almond milk
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 c spinach
- 1 tsp. chia seeds (optional)
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- If you have any trouble blending, pour in a little more homemade almond milk or water and blend until you reach your desired consistency. Enjoy immediately.