This blueberry banana basil smoothie (the “triple B” as we call it), is unlike any smoothie you’ve ever had. Basil is an interesting ingredient to add to a smoothie. It’s not your average leafy green that mixes with fruit for a refreshing beverage. The flavor is assertive, but it somehow creates a beautiful balance with the tart blueberries and sweet bananas. Plus, you taste the nuttiness of the ground flaxseed and rich almond butter.
If you can get your hands on sweet basil, that will take your smoothie to the next level. It retains that signature herbaceous flavor, but the sweetness works better for smoothies. Sweet basil has also been associated with relaxing blood vessels, reducing blood pressure, inhibiting bacterial growth in the mouth, and repelling mosquitos. Sorry, we got really into the uniqueness of basil, but we can’t neglect the other superfoods in this smoothie. You’ll have a huge boost of omega-3 fatty acids, protein, fiber, antioxidants, and more from all the other ingredients.
- Prep Time:5m
- Total Time:5m
- 2 c blueberries, frozen overnight
- 1 banana, peeled and frozen overnight
- 3/4 c homemade almond milk
- 1/4 c basil leaves
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp. raw almond butter
- Add all of the ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- If the smoothie is too thick, add a touch more almond milk so that you can reach your desired consistency.
- Enjoy the smoothie!