This recipe is incredibly easy to throw together and it tastes great too! Eating caramelized onions alone is delicious. Add the spices and sustenance of the brown rice and lentils and you’ve got yourself a tasty little meal.
- 2 1/2 c water
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 c plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 c brown lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 1 c short grain brown rice
- 2 large white onions, cut in half, then sliced into thin rings
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- In a medium-sized saucepan with a cover, combine water, sea salt, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Add the brown rice and lentils to the saucepan and bring back to a boil.
- Once the lentils and rice have reached a boil, reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for approximately 40-45 minutes or until the brown rice and lentils are tender. Turn off heat and allow to sit covered for 5 minutes.
- While the rice and lentils are cooking, prepare the onions. In a large skillet, heat the remaining ¼ cup of olive oil over medium high heat, tipping the skillet so that the oil evenly coats the bottom of the pan.
- Add the sliced onions, and cook for about 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently until the onions are a deep golden color, and the edges of the onions are well caramelized. Once cooked, remove from the heat and sprinkle the paprika over the onions. Stir to combine.
- Give the rice and lentil mixture a stir, then pour into a serving bowl. Top with caramelized onions and serve.