One of the best things you can do for your body when you finish cleansing is to give it light and easy meals to digest. The transitional period, as many people refer to it, is an integral stepping stone to life after cleansing. The foods you consume during this period often dictate what you continue to eat as the weeks go on. If you go directly for the unhealthy, processed, fried, and meat-centric foods, your body will continue to crave those things as life moves on. An integral part of the transitional period is to introduce healthier foods to the body that supply it with essential nutrients.
The combination of kale, chickpeas, and the hemp seed dressing (which is actually cleanse-approved!) provides the body with protein, vitamin K, fiber, and folate. It’s the perfect light meal to fill you up! The great thing about chickpeas is that they are essentially a blank canvas. You have the ability to make them taste savory or sweet! Some people season them with taco seasonings, while others use cacao powder and agave and blend them into a chocolate hummus. We aren’t condoning the latter recipe, but we’re just saying it’s possible!
The creamy hemp seed dressing almost plays the role of ranch dressing, complementing the tangy and spicy Buffalo flavor. The acidity of the Buffalo sauce, which comes from high vinegar content, marries with the creamy herbaceous dressing. In fact, the dill in the dressing will make you think you’re eating ranch! We hope you love this post-cleanse recipe. Please let us know in the comments if you’ll continue eating it.
- Prep Time:15m
- Cook Time:5m
- Total Time:20m
For the Salad
- 2 bunches kale, chopped and thick stems removed
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 c vegan Buffalo sauce
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 c shredded carrots (optional)
- 1 pt cherry tomatoes (optional)
- 1 avocado (optional)
For the Dressing
- 1/2 c hemp seeds
- 1/3 c filtered water
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried dill
- 1/2 tsp. mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
For the Salad
- Add the chopped kale to a large bowl and drizzle one tablespoon of olive oil over it with the juice of one lemon. Season with a pinch of sea salt and pepper and massage it into the kale. This helps to impart flavor into the kale and soften the leaves.
- Warm one tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the chickpeas and cook for about five minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Once the chickpeas are toasted, pour in the hot sauce and mix to evenly coat the chickpeas. Remove from the heat and allow them to cool before adding them to the bowl with the kale.
For the Dressing
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings accordingly.
- Drizzle your desired amount of dressing over the salad and toss to coat all of the ingredients.
- Any leftover dressing can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.