In the colder months of the year, it’s nice to be able to comforted by a warm, tasty bowl of soup at the dinner table. You know what’s better than that? Slurping a soup that can help nourish the body. Using butternut squash, one of fall and winter’s best vegetables, this soup has a smooth creaminess and a signature spice from the fresh turmeric. The walnuts add a crunchy texture, too!
- Prep Time:10m
- Cook Time:20m
- Total Time:30m
- 1 large butternut squash
- 6 c water
- 1 tbsp. vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 small fresh turmeric knob
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 small white or yellow onion
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- Peel the squash and cut it into large chunks.
- In a medium size pot, add the squash, water, and remaining ingredients. Cook for about 20 minutes or until the squash is fork tender.
- Using a ladle, spoon the squash pieces, other ingredients, and the liquid that you collect in the spoon into a blender. Don't pour all the liquid in the blender, only what you get while ladling the ingredients. Reserve the broth for another soup base. Because the butternut squash contains a lot of liquid, you will not need to add any extra from the broth, although the broth is a tasty base for other recipes.
- Blend in high speed for about 45 seconds. Depending on your machine you may need to blend for a little longer to get a smooth consistency.
- Serve hot with your choice of topping (we suggest walnuts). Refrigerate for up to 4 days.