We hold a special place in our hearts for gazpacho. There’s something about the silky smooth texture and chilled, vibrant flavors that are very addicting. The cold, blended mixture seems to cool down your entire body on a hot summer evening. It fills you up and cools you off at the same time. What kind of sorcery is this? It’s raw vegan eating is what it is!
It may seem out of the ordinary to add cantaloupe to a gazpacho recipe, but cantaloupe pairs beautifully with savory flavors. In Italy, it is very common to wrap cantaloupe pieces in prosciutto. The inherent sweetness of the melon balances the salty nature of the cured ham. Plus, cantaloupe and cucumber, both of which are in this recipe, have high water content. That means that they contribute to your hydration efforts, which is especially important when the weather is hot. You have to replenish the water and electrolytes you lose, and this soup can aid that effort.
When it comes to toppings, there are various ingredients that you can use to enhance the already delicious flavor of the gazpacho. Herbs, lemon or lime zest, thinly sliced radishes, and finely diced chives are all excellent toppings. You can also hit the top of the gazpacho with a dash or two of cayenne pepper if you want to take it to another level. Just don’t go crazy with the spice! It’s summer after all, and we don’t want you sweating more than you already are.
- Prep Time:10m
- Total Time:10m
- Serves: 4 servings
- Category: Full Body Cleanse Approved, Soups & Stews, Raw, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free
- 1 cantaloupe peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1/2 c filtered water
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 c olive oil
- Fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish (optional)
- Cayenne pepper for garnish (optional)
- Add all of the ingredients, except the olive oil to a high-speed blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- While blending, drizzle the olive oil in to help thicken the gazpacho.
- Pour the gazpacho into a container and chill for an hour in the refrigerator. Remove and serve.