April 12th, 2017, is Grilled Cheese Day and there is no better way to enjoy it than making this recipe. This classic combo gets a vegan twist that captures the classic flavors and there is a rustic, savory twist that will excite your taste buds. Don’t forget to dip the sandwich in the soup!
- Prep Time:5m
- Cook Time:45m
- Total Time:50m
For the Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices yeast free sourdough bread (French Meadows is a good option)
- 1/3 c your favorite non dairy cheese
- Earth Balance butter substitute
For the Tomato Soup
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- 4 c tomato juice
- 14 fresh basil leaves
- 1 c coconut milk
- 1/2 c vegan butter
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat skillet or grill pan over medium heat.
- Spread the Earth Balance on one side of both slices of bread.
- Put one piece, butter side down in skillet, add cheese, and place the other piece of bread, butter side up. (If using grill pan, place cover on now). Carefully monitor so that sandwich doesn’t burn, flip over when toasted to a golden brown color.
- When golden on both sides, serve warm.
- Place tomatoes and juice in a stockpot over medium heat. Simmer for 30 minutes. Puree the tomato mixture along with the basil leaves, and return the puree to the stockpot.
- Place the pot over medium heat, and stir in the coconut milk and vegan butter. Season with garlic powder, onion powder, and sea salt and pepper. Keep stirring and make sure not to boil. Remove from heat and enjoy with your grilled cheese.