• 1 cup plus 2 Tbs. mini vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips, such as Enjoy Life, divided
• 1 Tbs. vegetable shortening, such as Earth Balance
• 1 pinch salt
1. Fill medium saucepan with 1 inch of water, and bring to a boil.
2. Place 3/4 cup chocolate chips in nonreactive metal bowl that fits snugly in saucepan over water. Remove saucepan from heat, place bowl on top, and let stand 3 minutes, or until half of chocolate chips are melting and shiny, but still retain their shape. Carefully remove bowl from saucepan, and wipe bottom dry.
3. Stir in shortening and salt, and continue stirring 2 to 3 minutes, or until shortening is incorporated. Immediately stir in remaining 3/8 cup chocolate chips, and stir 3 minutes more, or until chocolate will not melt any further. (It will be almost, but not completely melted.)
4. Place bowl of chocolate over water in saucepan again, and stir 30 to 40 seconds, or until mixture is smooth. Remove bowl from saucepan, and stir chocolate 1 minute more.
5. Dip the Pears.