- 8 oz (about 1 packed cup) chopped dates
- 1/2 c maple syrup or agave (or honey if vegetarian)
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds (optional)
- 1 tbsp. ground flax seeds
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 1 1/2 c old-fashioned oats (dry, not cooked)
- 1 c shelled pistachio nuts
- 1 c dried cranberries
- 1/3 c white chocolate chips (optional for vegetarian or vegan only)
- Combine the dates, maple syrup, chia seeds, flax seeds and salt in a food processor, and pulse until smooth and combined. You should be able to stir the mixture -- if it is too thick, add in another tablespoon or two of maple syrup.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, and stir in the oats, pistachios, dried cranberries, and the optional white chocolate chips until evenly combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Once the mixture is cool (and easier to work with), use a spoon or cookie scoop to shape it into your desired size of energy balls. (Mine were about 1-inch in diameter.) Alternately, you can line a small baking pan with parchment paper, and press the mixture evenly into the pan, let it cool, and then cut into bars.
- Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. (Storing them in the refrigerator especially helps the energy bites hold their shape.)