Looking for a healthy, low-effort sauce that tastes out of this world? You found it in the form of this raw vegan kale and avocado pesto. It has a wonderfully creamy texture and gorgeous green color. Additionally, it is packed with lots of protein, iron, magnesium, omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, and other nutrients.
Kale is one of the most nutrient-dense foods, which is why it falls under the superfood umbrella. It is naturally rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin K, but that’s only the beginning. Kale exhibits an impressive list of minerals, including manganese, calcium, potassium, and magnesium. This low-calorie leafy green contains three grams of protein per cup. Various studies found that several of the antioxidants in kale may exhibit anti-inflammatory, antidepressant, and antiviral properties!
Although kale is a powerful vegetable, we cannot ignore the mighty avocado. It is truly an excellent source of many nutrients, including potassium, magnesium, and healthy fats. All this is to say that this kale and avocado pesto is much more than a delicious sauce. It is nutrient-rich and will become a staple in your recipe rotation. Let us know how you like it in the comments below.
- Prep Time:5m
- Total Time:5m
- 3 1/2 oz kale, thick stems removed
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2/3 c homemade almond milk
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- sea salt & pepper, to taste
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Make sure that you remove the thick stems from the kale, otherwise your pesto will have a bitter flavor.
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Taste the pesto and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Spoon the sauce over raw zucchini noodles or use as a raw dipping sauce.