The air fryer is the hottest sensation to grace home kitchens since the Instant Pot. They come in all shapes and sizes and allow you to make “fried” foods without excess grease and oil. Not everything you put in the air fryer has to be breaded and unhealthy, though. You can cook all sorts of vegetable dishes, including the crispy chickpeas in this recipe. It takes far less time to cook them in the air fryer than it does to roast them in the oven. All you have to do is toss the chickpeas in the blend of spices, throw them in the air fryer, and take them out when they’re done. It’s so incredibly easy!
When it comes to canned chickpeas, it’s important that you rinse them after opening the can. You’ll notice a cloudy liquid in the can, which is starchy and acidic. It’s actually better to purchase low-sodium chickpeas, or varieties that are free of added sodium. Once you rinse the chickpeas, make sure to pat them dry before you toss them with oil and spices. Drying them with paper towels will only help them soak up the seasonings.
The cooking time for these chickpeas is about 15 minutes. You’ll want to shake the air fryer basket several times throughout the cooking process to ensure that they all crisp evenly. If the time expires and they aren’t crunchy, you can continue cooking them for a little longer to reach your desired level of crispiness.
- Prep Time:5m
- Cook Time:15m
- Total Time:20m
- Serves: 4 servings
- Category: Appetizers & Snacks, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free
- 1 (15oz) can low-sodium chickpeas
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion power
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and then pat them dry between sheets of paper towels.
- Pour the dried chickpeas into a medium-sized mixing bowl and drizzle olive oil over them. Season with all of the spices and then toss to combine.
- Add the seasoned chickpeas to your air fryer basket and cook that at 390F for 15 minutes. You will want to remove the basket to shake them up every three to four minutes to ensure that they cook evenly.
- Once they are crispy enough for your liking, pour them onto a plate and allow them to cool before eating.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature and consume within three days.