Imagine that you are sweating on a hot summer day. What beverage do you reach for to cool you off? Some people choose unhealthy, sugary beverages that promise electrolytes, while others choose water. The latter is the best option, but there’s another way to cool off from summertime heat. It’s time that you enjoy the hydrating flavorful combination of fresh cucumbers, lime juice, mint leaves, and ginger. Not only is this beverage packed with flavors, but it also very beneficial for the digestive system.
You may notice that this is an agua fresca, which literally translates to fresh water or cool water. An agua fresca is a classic, non-alcoholic Mexican beverage that combines fruits or vegetables with water. Typically, agua fresca contain a lot of sugar and can be overwhelmingly sweet. We’re toning down the sugar level and focusing on the pure flavors of the ingredients. If you want to avoid sweetness altogether, you can exclude or lessen the amount of raw agave nectar in the recipe. It’s great for a mocktail or as a refreshing picnic beverage.
- Prep Time:5m
- Total Time:5m
- 2 large cucumbers, cut into chunks
- 1 c freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 c raw agave nectar
- 10 -15 mint leaves
- 1 -inch piece ginger root, peeled and chopped
- 4 c filtered water, divided
- Add the cucumber, lime juice, agave nectar, mint leaves, ginger, and two cups of water to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Place a fine mesh sieve over a large pitcher and pour the blended mixture through the sieve. This helps to remove excess pulp.
- Pour the two remaining cups of water into the pitcher and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.