It’s important to make your food fun, especially if you eat a raw vegan diet. The same fruits and vegetables over and over again can bore the taste buds, which is why you have to get creative. Thinking outside the box goes beyond buying new produce items. Transform a beet or zucchini into noodles and dress them with a homemade sauce. In the case of this recipe, use a spiralizer to turn a cucumber into a fun ribbons. Not only does it make for a fun eating experience, but the look of the dish also entices your brain to come back for bite after bite.
The cucumber isn’t the only ingredient that you prepare differently in this recipe, though. After you peel a mango, use a flat peeler to make thin strips, doing your best to avoid the pit. If the thought of handling a slippery mango and attempting to peel it terrifies you, call an audible and use your knife to cut the mango into long, thin strips. However you decide to prepare the mango will be amazing, but peeling it into ribbons makes for an even eating experience. We have faith in your culinary preparation abilities, but do whatever makes you most comfortable.
The last piece of the puzzle is the red onion, which offers a much needed bite to balance the sweet mango and cucumber. Yes, cucumber has a sweeter flavor, but it’s fine if you feel otherwise. It’s best to cut the onion as thinly as you can so that you don’t end up with a surprising allium-rich bite that overpowers the mango and cucumber. We’re goin to let you in on a little secret for how to tame the strong onion flavor though. Scroll down to the instructions to find out.
- Prep Time:15m
- Total Time:15m
- 1/2 c red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 lime, juiced (plus more wedges for serving)
- 1 large cucumber, spiralized into ribbons
- 1 firm-ripe mango, peeled into strips or thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, add the thinly sliced red onion, sea salt, and juice of one lime.
- Let the onions soak in this lime and salt bath while you prepare the cucumber and mango. The acidity from the salt and lime will tame the strong onion flavor.
- Once you finish preparing the cucumber and mango, add them to the large bowl with the onions. Toss to combine and then plate.
- Serve with more lime wedges in case you want more citrus flavor. Enjoy!