Soups can comforting and nourishing, especially when vegetables are the stars of the show. Some soups, especially canned varieties, are incredibly unhealthy because they contain unhealthy fats, excess carbs, and too much sodium or sugar. After a day or weekend of unhealthy eating, the last thing you want is a warm bowl of soup that makes you feel fat and bloated. That’s why we created this recipe! It contains a ton of nutrient-dense vegetables and it is low in calories.
Many of the vegetables in this soup contain anti-inflammatory properties, which work to reduce pain and inflammation. Detox soups, such as this recipe, are very easy on the digestive system. As a clarification, a detox soup is not some boring cabbage soup diet from the 1980s; rather, it is a tasty bowl of nutritious ingredients and flavors. The ingredients are often rich in fiber, which helps move food through the digestive tract to regulate bowel movements. The vitamins and minerals also work to provide valuable antioxidants, which help fight free radicals and oxidative stress in the body.
Other than chopping the vegetables, this soup is very easy to make, but it does take a little time. You begin with a classic mirepoix, which is the combination of onions, carrots, and celery. Only you take it up a notch with this soup by including sweet potatoes. Once those ingredients are soft, you can add the tomatoes, beans, broth, and continue seasoning with sea salt and pepper. The seasoning process happens throughout, so be sure to taste and add a little more sea salt and pepper (if necessary) as you go. Happy detoxing with this soup after some heavy holiday eating.
- Prep Time:15m
- Cook Time:45m
- Total Time:1h
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium sweet potato (white or orange), peeled and cubed
- 1 c carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 c tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 (14 oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 c low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 c filtered water
- 2 large kale leaves, chopped and thick stems removed
- 1/2 c parsley, chopped
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Warm the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat for about 20 seconds and then add the sweet potato, carrots, celery, and onion.
- Season the vegetables with some sea salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened (about five to seven minutes).
- Add the garlic, tomatoes, and smoked paprika to the pot and stir to combine. Cook for an additional minute or so before pouring the beans, vegetable broth, and water into the pot.
- Increase the heat to bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce to a low simmer. Cover and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more water if necessary.
- Stir in the kale and parsley into the soup and remove from heat, but keep the pot covered. Both the kale and parsley will wilt in about five minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and enjoy immediately.