You might be asking yourself, “Don’t all green drinks support the digestive system?” Well, in a way, they do because they contain fiber, digestive enzymes, and other essential nutrients. There are, however, green smoothie recipes with ingredients that are more beneficial for the digestive system. Having a fiber-rich green smoothie in the morning is a great step for supporting bowel regularity. And the reality is that most people are nowhere near regular!
If you find that you experience irregular bowel movements or strain to eliminate, drinking this healthy digestion smoothie in the morning is the way to go. This green smoothie is fiber-forward with ingredients that support hydration. Not only will it help you improve digestive function, but it will also hydrate you in the process. Additionally, the pineapple also contains powerful digestive enzymes that help break down protein. Historically, the bromelain in the pineapple plant was used to treat medical ailments throughout Central and South America. In addition to being a digestive aid, bromelain may also work to reduce sore muscles and the risk of osteoarthritis.
This smoothie can be a bit tart, given that it contains pineapple, ginger, and lemon juice. You can add a tablespoon of raw agave nectar if you like a sweeter flavor profile. If you don’t mind a little intensity in your smoothies, then you don’t have to worry about adding sweetener. Just know that the option is there if you need it.
- Prep Time:5m
- Total Time:5m
- 1 c spinach
- 1/2 c pineapple, cubed and frozen overnight
- 1 c cucumber, cubed
- 1 -inch piece ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 c filtered water
- 1 tbsp. raw agave nectar (optional)
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Taste and add the agave if necessary.
- Pour into a large cup and garnish with optional pineapple wedge. Drink in the morning on an empty stomach for the best results.