We are going to show you how easy it is to make bruschetta, the vegan way. It is a simple yet impressive appetizer that takes about 10 minutes to make. Not only is bruschetta a classic appetizer that most people enjoy, but this one is also vegan, dairy-free, nut-free, and soy-free. It can even be gluten-free if you choose gluten-free bread.
When making bruschetta, you want high quality ingredients because it is a fresh dish. For this reason, we recommend that you use heirloom tomatoes, which offer a rich, sweet and slightly tart flavor profile. They are only enhanced by the herbs, seasonings, garlic, and olive oil. Speaking of which, we encourage you to use cold-pressed, extra virgin olive oil for this vegan appetizer. The richness of that type of olive oil only enhances the natural flavors of the rest of the ingredients.
A typical bruschetta recipe contains parmesan cheese, but this recipe does not. If your taste buds yearn for that signature, sharp cheesy flavor, feel free to sprinkle in some nutritional yeast. Certain vegan food manufacturers also make vegan parmesan, which you can include in this recipe if you want. This recipe, however, only uses simple, fresh ingredients that speak for themselves. We promise that you’ll fall in love with this vegan bruschetta immediately after your first bite. Wanting a little more pizzazz? Hit your bruschetta with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar!
- 3 heirloom tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp. cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. fresh basil, cut into ribbons
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt (plus more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. pepper (plus more to taste)
- 1/2 of a French baguette, toasted
- Before you get into making the bruschetta, we recommend that you slice your French baguette into even slices. Drizzle some olive oil on each slice and place the bread slices on a baking sheet.
- Broil the bread until each slice is beautifully golden brown and then remove from the oven.
- While the bread is broiling, add the tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, basil, sea salt, and pepper to a mixing bowl. Mix gently to combine and then get ready to assemble the bruschetta.
- Spoon a little of the tomato mixture onto each slice of bread and then enjoy. Add some extra basil slices or sea salt prior to serving for some extra pizzazz. You can also drizzle some balsamic vinegar if you enjoy that as well.