This dish hits the top three flavor categories: sweet, sour, and salty. It is even better if you make this dish a day or two ahead of time and then refrigerate it to allow the flavors to intensify. Do this and you can thank us later.
- Prep Time:8m
- Cook Time:30m
- Total Time:38m
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 4 c eggplants, chopped
- 4 c tomatoes, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp. white vinegar
- 2 tbsp. capers
- 1/2 c chopped basil
- Warm a teaspoon of olive oil in a medium-sized frying pan over medium heat. Add the diced onions and garlic and saute for two minutes.
- While those are cooking, cut the eggplant into 1/2" cubes and then add them to the pan. Season with a little sea salt.
- Cook the eggplant for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. You can drizzle with a little more olive oil if the eggplant starts to look dry.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, bell pepper, and vinegar to the pan and let this simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the capers and basil. You can serve right away or place in an airtight container to refrigerate for a few days. The choice is yours.