It’s inevitable to indulge on occasion, but you don’t want to head down the path of unhealthy foods for good. Acknowledge that you veered from the healthy path and get back to eating whole foods, starting with this soup that’ll help you flush away those excess pounds.
- Prep Time:15m
- Cook Time:45m
- Total Time:1h
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1″ cubes
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. allspice
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 1/2 c cooked navy beans
- 4 c low-sodium vegetable broth
- 5 -6 small tomatoes, diced (optional)
- 4 c baby spinach, loosely packed
- 1 tbsp. plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil (optional for serving)
With A Slow Cooker
- Add all of the ingredients, except the spinach and olive oil, to a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Stir in the spinach 5 minutes before you are ready to serve the soup. Make sure that it is wilted before serving.
- Because olive oil helps the body absorb nutrients more efficiently, drizzle about 1/2 teaspoon in each bowl that you serve, but this is completely optional.
Without A Slow Cooker
- Drizzle about 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the sweet potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, and garlic and saute for about 3-5 minutes. Add the spices and cook for an additional minute.
- Pour in the cooked navy beans, vegetable broth, and tomatoes and bring to a boil before reducing to a simmer. Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Again, stir in the spinach 5 minutes before you are ready to serve. Remove from heat and ladle the soup into bowls. The olive oil is optional once again.