- 1 medium sized fennel bulb, or 2 small bulbs
- 1/2 small Granny Smith apple
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1/2 c of shelled pistachios
- 1 handful of fennel fronds
- 1 handful of parsley
- 1/2 of a seeded jalepeño or serrano pepper
- juice of a small lemon
- extra virgin olive oil (to taste)
- sea salt (to taste)
- white pepper (to taste)
- First, thinly slice or use a mandoline: 1 medium sized fennel bulb, or 2 small bulbs 1/2 small Granny Smith apple 1/2 small red onion Place into a bowl.
- Coarsely chop: 1/2 cup of shelled pistachios and a handful of fennel fronds and parsley
- Finely mince: 1/2 of a seeded jalepeño or serrano pepper. Add remaining ingredients to bowl.
- Finally, squeeze over the juice of a small lemon, drizzle lightly with extra virgin olive oil, and season to taste with a delicate sea salt and white pepper.
- Toss well and serve.
use young fennel
In this salad, the fennel, green apple, and red onion are sliced mandoline thin. This keeps them from overpowering one another and creates a light, cool, crispness. I also prefer young, smaller fennel to larger bulbs. They’re much sweeter and milder.