Textures, as in the shape and size of the cuts of veggies, matters when it comes to the intensity of different flavors and the flavor of the whole dish. In this salad, the fennel, green apple, and red onion are sliced mandolin thin which gives this salad its wonderful taste.
- Prep Time: 10m
- Total Time: 10m
- 1 medium sized fennel bulb, or 2 small bulbs
- 1/2 small Granny Smith apple
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1/2 c raw pistachios
- 1 handful of fennel fronds
- 1 handful of parsley
- 1/2 of a seeded jalepeño or serrano pepper
- juice of a small lemon
- extra virgin olive oil (to taste)
- sea salt (to taste)
- white pepper (to taste)
- Using the thin setting on a mandolin, slice 1 medium sized fennel bulb (or 2 small bulbs), 1/2 small Granny Smith apple, 1/2 small red onion, and place them in a bowl.
- Coarsely chop the raw pistachios, a handful of fennel fronds, and parsley. Add them to the bowl and mix well.
- Finely mince the seeded jalepeño or serrano pepper and add remaining ingredients to bowl.
- Finally, whisk the lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, and white pepper in a small bowl before drizzling it over the salad. Mix well and enjoy.