Citrus and beets are abundant in the winter season, so why not combine the two in a light and flavorful salad. The subtle earthiness of the beets are balanced by the bright citrus varieties in this salad.
Photo Credit: Cooking and Beer
- Prep Time:15m
- Total Time:15m
For the Dressing
- 1/4 c agave
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 whole cloves
- 1/3 c apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
For the Salad
- 1 golden beet, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 blood orange, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Cara Cara orange, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Naval orange, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 red grapefruit, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/3 c thinly-sliced fennel (white part only)
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced thin
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- fresh dill for garnish
- In a small bowl add the agave, cinnamon sticks and whole cloves. Let the flavors infuse for about 15 minutes, and then remove the cloves and cinnamon sticks. Add the agave to a blender, along with the apple cider vinegar, sea salt, and black pepper. Blend on high until you get a smooth consistency. With the blender set on low, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. If you need more olive oil for thinning, add a little more until you reach the consistency you desire, but don't make your dressing to oily.
- Assemble your salad by evenly arranging the golden beet slices, blood orange slices, Cara Cara orange slices, Naval orange slices and grapefruit slices. Add the fennel and avocado on top and sprinkle sea salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and top with fresh dill.
- Eat immediately and enjoy!