The bell peppers provide a distinct mildly sweet base for this soup. Using fresh marjoram isn’t necessary, but it helps the flavors open up and become richer as the soup simmers.
- Prep Time:10m
- Cook Time:30m
- Total Time:40m
- 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 yellow, red and/or orange bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 4 c low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 tsp. finely chopped fresh marjoram (or 1.5 teaspoons dried)
- Sliced avocado, for garnish (optional)
- Finely chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Warm the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and a pinch of sea salt and pepper. Sauté until vegetables are tender (about 4 minutes). Throw the diced bell peppers in and cook for another 5 minutes so they can soften.
- Add the sweet potatoes with the broth, season with a little more sea salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Once the soup is boiling, reduce heat to simmer and add the marjoram. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat after 20 minutes and transfer to blender. Blend until you get a smooth consistency. Serve in bowls with your choice of garnishes. Enjoy!