- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained*
- 1 c flltered water
- 2 roma tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh spinach
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion (1 small)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- Spinach leaves
- 2 ripe avocados, halved, seeded, peeled, and sliced**
- 1/3 cup crumbled vegan feta cheese
- In a 1-1/2-quart saucepan combine quinoa and water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer quinoa to a medium bowl. Add tomato, spinach, and onion; stir to combine. In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, oil, and salt. Add to quinoa mixture; toss to coat.
- Place spinach leaves on 4 salad plates. Arrange avocado slices on spinach leaves. Spoon quinoa mixture over avocado slices. Sprinkle with some of the feta. Makes 4 main-dish servings.
1. Rinse quinoa thoroughly before cooking to remove a bitter substance called saponin that coats the seeds.
2. Brush avocado slices with additional lemon juice to prevent browning.