We bet you’ve never seen green bean casserole done like this before. Leave the frozen and processed ingredients at the store because it’s all about freshness this holiday season. This is savory, creamy, and you’re definitely going to want save some for leftovers.
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 45m
- Total Time: 1h
For the Creamy Soup
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 1/2 c organic unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. sea salt + additional 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 medium size white or Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 16 oz of mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
For the Crispy Onion
- 2 large white or Spanish onion, thinly sliced with a mandolin
- 1 1/2 c coconut flour, or gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 c almond milk
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. dried sage
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 c olive oil for frying
- 1 lb fresh green beans, rinsed, trimmed and halved
- 1 tsp. sea salt
Make The Soup
- Place chopped cauliflower in a large pan with almond milk, garlic powder, sea salt, onion powder, black pepper. And cook until the cauliflower is soft.
- When the cauliflower is cooked and soft blend in a blender until very smooth and creamy, and transfer back into the large sauce pan.
- In a large heavy bottom pan heat up coconut oil, and saute garlic, onions, sea salt and mushrooms until the mushrooms start to give up some of their liquid. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked, add them to the large pot with the cauliflower soup, and simmer on low allowing flavors to incorporate, while you prepare the onions and green beans.
For The Fried Onions
- Soak the onions in the almond milk for 5 minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl add coconut flour, dried sage, and sea salt and whisk to combine.
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy pan.
- Take a handful of onions and toss them in the flour to coat.
- Fry in batches in oil for about 2 minutes, stirring as needed to brown evenly.
- Drain on paper towels and season to taste with paprika.
Assemble the Casserole
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
- Bring a large saucepan of water and 1 tsp of sea salt to a boil.
- Add the green beans and blanch for 3 minutes. Drain and set aside to allow all water to drop from beans.
- Add the green beans and 1/4 of the fried onions to the saucepan with the mushroom cauliflower soup and mix to combine.
- Place in a large casserole dish, and bake for 15 minutes or until bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and top with remaining fried onions and serve immediately.