The eggplant is an underutilized ingredient, but that’s because most people don’t know what to do with it. It’s an inexpensive produce item that receives little to no love. You know how we feel about eating the rainbow, and eggplant is a purple food, and people don’t eat enough purple foods. Both blue and purple foods are great for reducing inflammation, free radical damage, and stress.
The simplest and most delicious way to enjoy eggplant is by grilling it. It’s also a blank canvas, meaning it easily adopts flavors. When you marinate the eggplant slices, you impart depth of flavor that only becomes more intense when you grill it. The beautiful char of grilled eggplant only enhances the garlicky, citrusy flavor of this marinade. We hope you like it.
- Prep Time:10m
- Cook Time:15m
- Total Time:25m
- 2 large eggplants, sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. chopped parsley leaves, for serving
- lemon wedges, for serving
- Once you slice the eggplants into rounds, set them aside while you make the marinade.
- In large bowl, add the olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and minced garlic. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Add the eggplant slices to the bowl and toss to ensure that they are evenly coated in the marinade. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Remove the eggplant from the fridge and place the eggplant slices on the grill. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until browned and tender.
- Place the eggplant slices on a serving plate and garnish with chopped parsley and lemon wedges.