Lettuce may not be your go-to grilling item, but romaine hearts happen to hold up incredible well on the grill. The charred flavor complements the refreshing crunch on the inside. It’s surprising the first time you try it, but it becomes an addictive bite that you continue to crave. It may be the simplest and most creative way to enjoy lettuce, and it’s near impossible to mess up the recipe. Well, the only way to fail at this recipe is if you forget the romaine hearts on the grill and let them burn to a crisp. Let’s pray that doesn’t happen.
The easiest way to grill a romaine heart is to halve it lengthwise and place it cut-side down on the grill. After a few minutes, you’ll see perfect grill marks. Plus, the smoke from the grill sneaks into the little nooks and crannies of the lettuce, giving you a smoky, charred flavor in every bite. This recipe doesn’t just call for grilling the romaine hearts, though. It’s important to liberally brush the cut-side with the balsamic dressing, which you quickly whisk in a separate bowl.
The reason that you do not grill the romaine hearts too long is to avoid compromising the nutritional profile. Cooking a veggie, especially lettuce, for too long can kill the beneficial enzymes. Two minutes on the grill is all you need! This grilled romaine heart recipe is perfect for anyone who is not cleansing. Once you finish a cleanse, fire up the grill and try this out!
- Prep Time:5m
- Cook Time:3m
- Total Time:8m
- 2 romaine hearts, halved
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Preheat your grill to medium.
- Halve the romaine hearts lengthwise and give them a good rinse. Pat dry and then prepare the dressing.
- Whisk the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sea salt, and black pepper in a small bowl.
- Liberally brush the cut-sides of the romaine hearts with the balsamic dressing.
- Place the romaine hearts cut-side down on the grill and cook for two minutes. Flip and grill for one additional minute.
- Remove the halved romaine hearts from the grill and and enjoy. You have the option to drizzle a little extra balsamic dressing on the lettuce for added flavor.