If you can’t have alliteration in your recipe title, is the recipe even good? We understand that words have no bearing over flavor, which this recipe doesn’t lack. Hazelnut milk is downright delicious, which explains why most people enjoy it as a coffee creamer flavor. Aside from being wonderfully nutty and nutritious, hazelnuts may also help to lower cholesterol levels and improve insulin resistance. They are naturally rich in vitamin E, healthy fats, dietary fiber, and protein.
Studies found that the fiber in hazelnuts helps to reduce constipation by moving food through the digestive tract. Hazelnuts also contain antioxidants that work to protect against cellular oxidation. That means that hazelnuts work to keep your cells safe and healthy. The vitamin E in hazelnuts also shields your cells from harmful bacteria. Lastly, hazelnuts may also reduce your risk of inflammation. One study found that people who ate hazelnuts actually reduced inflammatory markers.
Does eating hazelnuts have the same effect as drinking hazelnut milk? Yes, provided there are no additional preservatives, thickeners, emulsifiers, and gums in it. Homemade hazelnut milk, like this recipe, offers the same benefits. Additionally, feel free to add your desired amount of sweetener (raw agave nectar works best) or alcohol-free vanilla extract to flavor the milk.
- Prep Time:15m
- Total Time:15m
- 2 1/2 c raw hazelnuts
- 6 c filtered water
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. alcohol-free vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
- 3 tbsp. raw agave nectar (optional)
- Soak the hazelnuts in a bowl of water for 6-8 hours.
- When they are finished soaking, drain the water and give them a quick rinse before adding them to a blender.
- Pour the water in the blender and blend until fully blended. This will take about 1-2 minutes, depending on your blender.
- Place a large mixing bowl on the counter. Place a nut milk bag over the bowl and pour the blended mixture into the nut milk bag, straining out as much liquid as you can.
- Once you finish straining the liquid out, discard the dry pulp and transfer the liquid to multiple wide-mouthed jars. Screw on the tops and place in the refrigerator for a couple hours before you drink the milk.
- The hazelnut milk will keep fresh in the fridge for about 3 days.