Word to the wise: these bars are extremely addictive and delicious. You’ve been warned…now we can proceed with the recipe so you can have some energy-filled mornings. They are simple and use a collection of nutritious and filling ingredients. Because the recipe calls for flaxseed meal and almond meal, these bars are vegan and gluten-free. Although they are not cleanse-approved, they are the perfect go-to snack or breakfast item once you finish cleansing.
When you buy peanut butter, it’s best to opt for the organic natural varieties that don’t contain excess sugars and preservatives. You’ll notice that these jars contain a thin layer of oil on top of the solid peanut butter. It does require mixing before you can use it, but this is the peanut butter you want. Once you mix up the peanut butter and you no longer see an oily layer on top, it’s ready to add to these breakfast bars.
These bars are not meal replacements, but they can go well with other fruit in the morning. You can always cut the baked bars into smaller squares if you prefer to eat them as little snacks during the day. However you decide to eat them, we hope you love them as much as we do.
- Prep Time:10m
- Cook Time:30m
- Total Time:40m
- 1 1/2 c organic quick oats
- 1/2 c almond meal
- 1/2 c flaxseed meal
- 2 tsp. cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. alcohol-free vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 c organic applesauce (no added sugars or preservatives)
- 1/4 c organic creamy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp. raw honey
- More peanut butter for the top (about 1/4 cup)
- Preheat your oven to 350º F and grease an 8-inch by 8-inch baking dish with a little coconut oil.
- Combine the oats, almond meal, flaxseed meal, cinnamon, and sea salt in a medium mixing bowl. Set this aside.
- Mix the vanilla, bananas, applesauce, and peanut butter in a larger mixing bowl, and then slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredient mixture.
- Spread this mixture evenly in the baking dish and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove after 20 minutes and spread an even layer of peanut butter across the top. Insert the pan back into the oven and back for 10 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool completely. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container in the fridge. Enjoy.