The raw vegan diet that goes along with any Dherbs cleanse, and that means you can’t have cheese, in addition to many other foods. One food that people really miss is cheese, though. In fact, cheese is the one food that prevents vegetarians from becoming vegans. Cheese is just that good, but do you know what’s even better? It’s this herbaceous raw vegan cashew cheese. It’s so creamy and packed with pure plant-based goodness. You will definitely be impressed if you make it. Go for the gold and spread this cheese on our raw vegan bread recipe by clicking here.
- Prep Time: 12h
- Total Time: 12h
For the Cashew Cheese
- 1 c raw cashews (soaked in water for 2 hours then drained)
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. filtered water
- 1 tsp. raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of paprika
- chopped basil
- Add the soaked and drained cashews to a food processor with the nutritional yeast, lemon juice, water, apple cider vinegar, garlic, sea salt, and black pepper. Blend for about three minutes, or until you get a smooth, creamy mixture.
- Spoon this mixture into a medium-sized mixing bowl and mix in the chopped basil, oregano, and thyme. Now, this is a perfectly delicious cheese spread, but you can do even more to elevate this.
- Line a small colander with tightly-wove cheesecloth and pour the cashew cheese into the colander. Fold the cheesecloth over the top of the cashew cheese mixture and place the colander in a bowl so that it is suspended. This will help excess water drain. Refrigerate this overnight.
- Remove the cheese from the fridge and unwrap the cheese from the cheesecloth. Transfer it to a serving platter and top with optional sea salt, paprika, and fresh basil.
- Enjoy with raw vegetables or dehydrated crackers.