Olives may not be an acceptable food while participating in one of our cleanses, but you can definitely enjoy them post-cleanse. The briny tang of olives easily delights the taste buds, and they are great as snacks or appetizers. How do you incorporate them into dishes, though? One of the most classic olive dishes is a dip or appetizer known as olive tapenade.
Olive tapenade is easy to make and satisfies garlicky, lemony, salty cravings. Often times, you’ll see this paired with bread or cheese plates. It can also work as a spread on healthier nut or seed crackers that are free of unhealthy ingredients like hydrogenated oils. Remaining in the healthier vein, make sure to source your olives from other places besides the can. Too often do people buy canned olives. They can contain so many preservatives! It’s better to go to a store that has an olive bar with different varieties. For convenience, purchase the pitted varieties, otherwise you will spend a long time making this recipe. Time is a valuable currency, so buy pitted olives and whip up this dip in a matter of minutes!
- Prep Time:10m
- Total Time:10m
- 3/4 c black olives, pitted & drained
- 3/4 c kalamata olives, pitted & drained
- 3/4 c green olives, pitted & drained
- 2 tbsp. capers, drained
- 2 tbsp. sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 4 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice (about 1/2 a lemon)
- 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of black pepper
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and pulse a few times to yield a quick relish.
- Scrape down the sides of the processor bowl and pulse a few more times. That is all the blending that you have to do because you are not looking for a smooth paste. You want a chunky texture that is lightly blended.
- You can pulse the mixture into a paste if you are looking for a spreadable tapenade.
- Spoon the mixture into a serving bowl with some crackers and vegetable sticks. Garnish with optional fresh parsley leaves.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. It will stay fresh for up to two weeks.