Most people are familiar with apple butter, but the less popular and equally delicious pumpkin butter receives minimal attention. Not only is it incredibly easy to make, but it’s the perfect fall spread that goes great in smoothies, oatmeal, or on toast.
You may be wondering, “What’s the difference between pumpkin puree and pumpkin butter?” Well, pumpkin puree is is 100% pure pumpkin. Pumpkin butter is pumpkin puree that you cook with a variety of other ingredients. The most common ingredients in pumpkin butter include cinnamon, maple syrup, allspice, cloves, nutmeg, and vanilla.
- Prep Time:5m
- Cook Time:45m
- Total Time:50m
- 2 (15 oz.) cans organic pumpkin puree
- 3/4 c unsweetened apple juice
- 2/3 c grade A maple syrup
- 2 tsp. cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. alcohol-free vanilla extract
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, combine all of the ingredients, except for the lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and reduce the heat to low. Simmer over low heat for 35 to 45 minutes, or until it has reached your desired consistency. Make sure to stir occasionally during the simmering time.
- In the last five minutes of the cooking process, stir in the lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- Remove the pot from the heat and allow the mixture to cool before you transfer it to an airtight container to store in the fridge. Serve when you are ready to enjoy.