A smoothie a day is one of the best ways to increase your intake of fruits and vegetables. This can be very beneficial for people who are less familiar with creative vegetable preparations. Plus, when you start your day with a nourishing, hydrating smoothie, you can increase energy levels without experiencing the crash from caffeine. A smoothie for breakfast can also help you avoid bloating, which results from heavier breakfasts that contain bread, meat, and cheese.
If you love and appreciate V-8 juice, consider this smoothie your best friend. The only difference between this smoothie and that bottled juice is that this recipe is free of chemicals, added sugars, and preservatives. You get the nutrients without any interference! Straight from the fruits and vegetables, just the way it should be. The green in the smoothie comes from the broccoli sprouts, parsley, avocado, and kale, but you can change up the greens if you have others you prefer. For example, you can use spinach or romaine lettuce to replace the kale, and cilantro can take the place of parsley. Ultimately, the flavor of the smoothie will differ if you change up the ingredients.
You need some sweet fruits to balance out those powerful, nourishing green vegetables. That’s where the banana and Granny smith apple come into play. Should you want more sweetness, though, feel free to incorporate dates or raw agave nectar. Don’t forget about the homemade almond milk! Well, if you don’t want to go through that effort, you can always use filtered water instead.
- Prep Time:5m
- Total Time:5m
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 c broccoli sprouts
- 1 c kale, chopped and thick stems removed
- 1/2 c parsley
- 1/2 tomato roughly chopped
- 1/2 avocado, peeled
- 1 banana, peeled and frozen overnight
- 1/2 green apple, cored and chopped
- 1/2 c homemade almond milk
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 tbsp. flaxseeds
- Add all of the ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- If the smoothie is too thick, pour some filtered water and continue blending until you reach your desired consistency.
- This smoothie makes enough for two people. Enjoy!