Is it wrong to develop an addiction to ice cream? It may pose a problem if you’re watching romantic comedies and eating a pint every night. No judgments here, but shoveling that much dairy into your body every day isn’t doing any favors for your health. It’s healthier and more affordable to start making your own ice cream. Plus, an ice cream maker is so easy to use and takes up very little space in the cabinets.
Chai is a creamy, spiced tea that comes from India, but it has become incredibly popular in the United States. The tea typically contains four primary groups: black tea, spices, sweetener, and milk (this recipe calls for dairy-free coconut milk). The spices vary from recipe to recipe, but the staples include cardamom, cinnamon, black pepper, cloves, and ginger. When you add all of those ingredients to the ice cream maker, what results is an incredibly rich combination of flavors. Each spoonful of this ice cream is better than the next, so don’t eat it all in one night! Savor the sweetness and enjoy this recipe!
- Prep Time:1h
- Total Time:1h
- Serves: 6 servings
- Category: Desserts, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free
- 1 1/2 c raw cashews (soaked in water for 4-6 hours)
- 1 c coconut milk
- 3 chai tea bags
- 1/4 c coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 c raw agave nectar
- 1/4 c coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. alcohol-free vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ginger powder
- Make sure to put your churning bowl in the freezer the night before you make this ice cream so that it is properly frozen.
- Drain the water from the cashews that are soaking and then give them a quick rinse.
- Place the chai tea bags in a mug and pour 3/4 cup boiling water into it. Let the tea steep for about 10 minutes. You want it strong so that the flavor comes through in the ice cream.
- Remove the tea bags from the mug and pour the tea into a blender. Add the cashews and the rest of the ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth and creamy. It may take a couple minutes. Make sure to taste test to see if the sweetness level is to your liking.
- Pour blended mixture into your chilled ice cream maker bowl and start the churning process. It will probably take 20-25 minutes.
- Spoon the ice cream into a freezer-safe container, cover it, and freezer for another hour minutes so it can firm up.
- Remove from the freezer and serve up the ice cream!
- Any leftovers will stay fresh in the freezer for up to a week.