When you finish the cleanse and transition back to your regular diet, you don’t have to stop eating fruits and vegetables. In fact, we encourage you to regularly consume a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. Obviously, you can cook foods, and root vegetables are some of the best vegetables to cook. Turn to root vegetables if you need a complementary side dish or savory appetizer. We are not talking about potatoes; rather, this recipe highlights the sweet earthiness of beets and carrots.
Carrots and beets go together like green eggs and ham; they’re just made for each other, and their color combination is too beautiful not to admire. People are often scared of beets because they have a rich earthiness, but that changes in this recipe. Adding honey to the root vegetables part of the way through the roasting process offers a wonderful complementary sweetness. You won’t really taste the honey if you add it to the carrots and beets too early in the roasting process. Make sure to only add it in the last five minutes to taste that pronounced honey flavor. Lastly, the fragrant herbs balance the sweetness of the honey and enhance the inherent flavors of the root vegetables.
A Quick Note: You’ll notice that the image has the carrots and the beets cut into sticks. You’re welcome to prepare them like that if you don’t want to cube them. However you cut them is completely fine, but keep in mind that the thickness of your veggies may affect the roasting time.
- Prep Time:10m
- Cook Time:25m
- Total Time:35m
- 4 medium beets, peeled and cubed
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp. honey
- Preheat your oven to 450º F and line a baking pan with foil or a silicone baking mat.
- Spread the vegetables evenly in one layer on the baking pan and drizzle with olive oil. Season with sea salt, rosemayr, and thyme, and mix gently to combine.
- Place the vegetables in the oven to roast for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven at the 20-minute mark and drizzle the honey all over the vegetables. You can also drizzle another teaspoon of olive oil at this time if you want.
- Place the baking pan back in the oven for another five minutes and then remove from the oven. Serve and enjoy.