What inspires you to create a new smoothie recipe? Some people see an attractive smoothie on Tik Tok or Instagram and want to replicate it in their own kitchen. Others tend to find inspiration from seasonal ingredients, and it is the case for this smoothie recipe. Honeydew, and other melons, are readily available during the summer, which is when they tend to be the juiciest. Since melons offer intense sweetness, you don’t need other fruit to create a sweeter flavor profile. In fact, some neutral and slightly bitter ingredients work well with melons.
Instead of bananas, we are using half an avocado to establish a creamier texture. The ice cubes will give the smoothie that slushie, icy texture that will help to cool you off on a hot summer day. The addition of avocado helps to increase your intake of potassium, magnesium, and monounsaturated fats. Too often do people consume unhealthy fats, which contribute to a higher risk of heart disease. Healthy fats like omega-3 fatty acids, which are in foods like avocados, work to reduce inflammation, boost heart health, and enhance cognitive function. Even if you are not the biggest fan of avocado, you will not taste it in this smoothie.
Finally, we have the addition of kale, which offers vitamin K, magnesium, protein, fiber, chlorophyll, antioxidants, and more. Kale received a lot of attention as a superfood, and rightly so! It makes a great addition to anyone’s diet, benefitting the digestive system and increasing your omega-3 intake. Kale also contains folate, which is integral for healthy brain development. In fact, folate is essential for pregnant women because it helps to reduce the risk of neural tube defects in babies.
- Prep Time:5m
- Total Time:5m
- Serves: 2 servings
- Category: Full Body Cleanse Approved, Smoothies & Juices, Raw, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free
- 4 c honeydew, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 2 c kale, thick stems removed
- 1/2 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2 c ice (or less based on preference)
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. You can start with one cup of ice to see if it reaches the texture you desire.
- If you want more ice, then simply add more ice and blend until you reach your desired consistency.
- Pour into two large cups and enjoy!