Jackfruit has become increasingly popular within the last year because of its ability to mimic the texture of meat when cooked. The key to good carne asada is not the meat; rather, it is the way you season the dish. Make this jackfruit carne asada for a vegan taco night! You can make some guacamole and salsa for toppings.
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 1h 30m
- Total Time: 1h 45m
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 (6oz.) can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 1 tsp. liquid aminos
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tsp. ground coriander seed
- 2 lb jackfruit, pulled apart
- Mix all of the ingredients, except the jackfruit, in a bowl. Once thoroughly mixed, add the jackfruit to the bowl and mix well to ensure that the flavors evenly coat the meat. Refrigerate for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove the jackfruit from the fridge and drain the excess marinade. Place the jackfruit on a baking pan greased with a little olive oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove from the oven to mix well, and place back in the oven to cook for one hour. Make sure you check periodically to see that you don't overcook the jackfruit.
- Remove from the oven and make vegan tacos or a vegan burrito bowl.